June 13th – 29th, 2018
If you are considering attending Music House this summer, we recommend submitting your audition materials as soon as possible. Some instrument groups are filled (updated list on the Acceptd landing page). If you have any questions, please contact our Auditions Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music House International is an intense 17-day music festival offering college students and young professionals a unique opportunity to work with principal players and other members of The Philadelphia Orchestra in audition preparation, performance, and repertoire.
Some of the signature program elements of Music House include:
- Daily orchestra rehearsals, with a Grand Finale Concert conducted by Maestro Kensho Watanabe, Assistant Conductor of The Philadelphia Orchestra.
- Chamber Music Program: Each participant in Music House will be in a chamber group, with placements and repertoire hand-picked by our Chamber Music Director. Each group will have nine coaching sessions with members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, in addition to ample rehearsal time, with a final performance at the end of the festival.
- Project 440 Seminars: A series of seminars in which participants will work on Audition Preparation, Leadership/Entrepreneurship, Community Engagement, Freelancing/Networking and the Art of Recording (hands–on workshop). Project 440 is directed by Joseph Conyers, Assistant Principal Bass of The Philadelphia Orchestra.
- Repertory Orchestra: Four 2-hour rehearsal sessions with Maestro Watanabe and other guest conductors working on intensive repertory exposure to works regularly found on major orchestral auditions, including: Mozart Symphony No. 39, Brahms Symphony No. 2, Dvořák Symphony No. 8, Strauss’ Don Juan, Stravinsky’s The Firebird, and other works.
- Mock Auditions: All Music House participants will be given the opportunity to perform in a mock audition setting for Maestro Watanabe. Please refer to the mock auditions repertoire listing for the music you are expected to prepare specifically for the Mock Auditions. Each participant will have a 10 minute Mock Audition. You may choose any combination of the listed excerpts to perform for Maestro Watanabe (it is not necessary to prepare all of the excerpts listed for your instrument).
- Concerto Competition: Musicians participating in the PIMF Concerto Competition must be ready to perform as soloist if selected. Repertoire must be performed by memory and orchestral parts readily available. Final rounds are performed in public at an evening concert. One Grand Prize winner will be selected to represent PIMF as a soloist with the Jersey Shore’s favorite Ocean City Pops, or another regional orchestra. For more information about the Concerto Competition, visit this page.
- Solo Hour: You will have the opportunity to perform a selection with a faculty accompanist in the PIMF Music House Solo Hour. You may perform with or without accompaniment but are strongly encouraged to perform by memory.
- Private lessons: Four private lessons with members of The Philadelphia Orchestra are included in tuition cost (additional lessons available).
- Master Classes and Faculty Recitals, featuring members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, are scheduled throughout the festival.
- Philadelphia Orchestra Concerts: Participants will attend a summer Philadelphia Orchestra concert at the Mann Music Center, or other Philadelphia-area venue.